Wow, I just finished up my 5AM Yoga Class on this lovely Friday morning, and I'm feeling good. Now getting up a 4AM isn't always my favorite, but once I'm up and on my Yoga mat, my day is off to a great start! So in an attempt to CONVINCE YOU to DO YOGA!!! I'm going to share with you 5 Reasons Why Stretching is so Good for You!
1. Fewer Aches and Pains
Let's face it, we are all getting older, and as our bodies age, we get a little creakier. So in order to decrease the aches and pains that you feel as you may age, stretching helps to keep the body flexible, muscles long and lose, and decrease the aches and paints that your body feels!
2. Better Posture
Why does posture matter. Because as we age, we gradually tend to slump forward. When we are stretching and strengthening the muscles in our core, shoulders, and back; we are able to maintain a nice posture which allows for better health, and back to #1, fewer aches and pains.
Life Hacker shares this statement about stretching and it's impact on posture: "Assists in correct posture by lengthening tight muscles that pull areas of the body away from their intended position (because of so much time at our computers, many of us have tight chest muscles which pulls the shoulders and head forward, leaving us with a hunched shoulder look)."
3. Creates Easier Movement of Natural, Everyday Activities
We reach, we bend, we twist. In everyday activities we do all of these things, and stretching, helps ensure that we can do these things long term. Especially stretching our spine is important! It makes sure that our back is healthy, which reduces pains, and enables us to easily move through natural everyday activities on our own.
This is said about a tight spine, from Shape Magazine: “When the thoracic spine becomes tight, it can create many problems up and down the chain of the body,” she says. “I have seen my clients’ necks, shoulders and chest tighten up or become unstable and weak with a tight thoracic spine.”
4. Lengthen Your Muscles
You might be wondering..."What does this even mean!?!?" Well during a lot of everyday activities, carrying heavy loads, or even working out and lifting weights, your muscle length shortens, which is partly why you can feel tight and sore after a workout. When you stretch, your muscles are literally stretching, lengthening, getting less tight, distressing, and being able to move with more flexibility. This not only makes recovery from a workout easier, but it also helps your athletic performance.
5. Stress Reliever
Of course, one more shameless plug for Yoga, but stretching, especially in a class style format can bring about so much stress relief. Even just taking a short amount of time to stretch can calm the mind, provide a mental break, and give your body a chance to recharge.
Next time you are feeling stressed, turn everything off, put your phone away, and take 5 minutes to stretch, relax your mind, and just breathe! Then see how you feel!
[bctt tweet="5 Reasons Why Stretching is good for you and you need to do it! from @brittanysuell #7daystretch @prana @fitapproach #sweatpink"]
USE CODE: LIVEINPRANA15 to get 15% off and get these awesome leggings for yourself!
I recently completed the #7DayStretch Challenge with Prana and Fitapproach! And let me just say, it was amazing! 7 Days to stretch it out, and being encouraged virtually to make it a consistent part of your lifestyle! It felt good, and there was definitely a stress relief from taking time to stretch and relax each day!
So in honor of the #7DayStretch, I've been challenged from Jill Conyers to share 7 things about myself to y'all! So here it is!
- I am [wildly/strangely/obviously] obsessed with: coffee! I love the atmosphere that coffee sets! Early mornings, hot drink in hand, nice music on! Oh I am such an atmosphere person! Maybe my weird obsession should be for atmospheres vs. coffee! :-)
- I have a collection of: coffee mugs---my husband is constantly trying to get rid of them...probably because they are falling out of our cabinet!
- I secretly (not so secretly): want to hire a house cleaner! Being a work from home mom, it just seems like I can't get it all done!
- When I was 7, I wanted to be: Paleontologist---I LOVED dinosaurs, rocks, all things outdoors! I was a HUGE tomboy!
- If I could do one thing today, it would be: go on vacation....OH WAIT, I AM!!
- I’ve always dreamt of: taking several weeks vacation to travel around the U.S. to awesome, must-see places with my hubs!
- My favorite way to travel is: spontaneously....with no real agenda! Oh, and with coffee in hand!
[bctt tweet="7 Things you might not know about me! #7daystretch @fitapproach @prana @joditivey @lora_hogan your turn! #challenge"]
Disclosure: This post was sponsored by prAna, but all opinions are my own. Shop now with the code LiveInprAnaF15 to get 15% off!