Well, the holidays are coming to a close. All the excitement and hype that we have clung to and built up to is sadly ending. Christmas trees and garland will be stored back in the attic, family will travel back to their homes, and meals will be not quite so extravagant. So how are you going to stay motivated during the winter? Well, today I would like to welcome Maralana, from Go Do Be, and she will be sharing some awesome tips with us on how to STAY MOTIVATED and CUT STRESS this time of year!
[Tweet "The Holidays are ending! Try these TIPS to Stay Motivated & Cut Stress this winter! from @NFSisters & @Meet Maralana #leaveyourlegacy"]
The days are getting shorter and the temperature is dropping, making winter a tough time to stay motivated. Add to that the fact that the holidays, with the food, drinking, cookies, and parties galore are adding to the stress of staying on track (which in turn makes you less motivated). There's no easy way out, as the holidays/winter come every year, but you can take the pressure off by finding ways to curb the stress and stay motivated.
The first part of that is the most important, "cut the stress". Don't think of health/fitness as an adjunct or must do. Instead make it fun and most importantly DOABLE during your busy holiday season. I'm not saying to be slack and do what you want, eat what you want and all will be forgiven. (Contrary to the evil voice in the back of your head YES calories still count during the holidays) What I'm really getting at is give yourself some room to splurge a bit or miss a workout without beating yourself up about it. Your body hears you and when you stress it responds in negative ways.
But now that we've cut the negative stress we have to attempt to keep motivated as to not regress into the viscous cycle and the best way to do that is mix it up getting motivation from different sources. When all else fails, pull out this list and do something different.
- Snap a selfie
- Do a little dance
- Put your phone on burst mode and make funny faces
- Learn a new skill or hobbie (crafts, video games, painting etc)
- Try a new playlist
- Play recipe or workout roulette
- Create a workout/health post it collection just pick it and stick to it for the day
- Reward yourself! Spa day or retreat
- Become social media accountable
- Find some mental peace, try yoga
- Take out your (or a friend's) four legged friend
- Workout Money Jar
- Go on a workout date
- Plan a vacation retreat
- Get some new workout clothes
- Try out a fitness gadget
- Start a new challenge
- Find a fitness pal (in person or online)
- Motivational quotes (however you keep them apps, paper, Pinterest, or dream board... just have them handy for when you need them)
- Start swimming (being in a swimsuit all year is a reminder to keep the pounds off)
- Sign up for a race, competition, or event
- Go see a comedy show (Laughter lightens your mood and can refocus you)
- Buy a new cookbook
- Card game workout
- Play in the snow (actually play... throwing snowballs, riding sleds, and making snow angels)
- Find your winter sport (inside or outside)
[Tweet "Reward yourself with new workout clothes!! Get more tips to stay motivated this winter from @NFSisters and @MeetMaralana #LeaveYourLegacy"]
If you hadn't noticed this list was all about positive motivation not negative motivation triggers like buying a slender dress or pants and trying them on throughout the season to remind you to stay small enough to fit them. Remember we are going for NO STRESS!! What's done is done so live in the moment of just making one good choice after another.
With these tidbits you will find new things to do, added motivation, and maybe even discover a whole new side of you with winter spirit. If you really want to spice this list up when you need motivated, RANDOMLY pick one and do it. The spontaneity of the act ignites your adrenaline to get you going.
Be sure to come on over and see me on my page for more tips on motivation at Go Do Be!
Be sure to follow Maralana!!